Sometimes I can only dream about how good the iPhone is! You see living here in Almerimar I really don’t get to use it to its full advantaage:
- I don’t commute to work
- The marina is 5 minutes away and that is where I do 90% of my business and socialising in Spain
- I know pretty much every bar and restaurant owner by name
- I can’t remember the last time I went shopping for anything other than food, or online
- The marina has one exit with a petrol station at the top, and a hospital 3 miles away
You get the picture? Everything is literally a stone throw away for my hermit like existance. To say that I know what is around me would be an understatment but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the AroundMe iPhone Application.
AroundMe allows you to quickly find out information about your surroundings.
The Web site asks the question: How many times have you found yourself in need of finding the closest Gas Station? AroundMe quickly identifies your position and allows you to choose the nearest Bank, Bar, Gas Station, Hospital, Hotel, Movie Theatre, Restaurant, Supermarket, Theatre and Taxi.
Well the answer as you know already is never, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love what the application does:
- AroundMe shows you a complete list of all the businesses in the category you have tapped on along with the distance from where you are.
- For every listing you can choose to see its location on a Map, view the route from where you are, add the information to your contact list or even email the information to a friend
- The Nearby listing allows you to find information using Wikipedia about what is around you
AroundMe is localized in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, Japanese and the recently released 3.0 has added embedded Maps and inapp Mail and feature Twitter integration.
I have spent literally hours playing with the application. Ask Sands, as I first installed it about 12.30am one evening this week when in bed waiting for her to get ready, and I proceeded to drive her mad with a series of ‘look at this’, ‘heh they are on it’, ‘wow this is cool’ statements.
The integration of the Google Ads (which ensures the application is and always will be free) is very well done and they are very unintrusive. The map function is brilliant! I particularly like the integration with Twitter (well I would wouldn’t I) and the ability to show the route is very cool, although in my case not entirely necessary.
I have to say that AroundMe is a brilliant application to show off the iPhone to its full potential. I am almost tempted to go for a ride on the Harley to see what it has locally for me to find.