At $29.99 the Photoshop CS3 Photo Effects Book is a book that you may as well have in your Photo Library as not only will it give some life to otherwise dull images, but it also unearths a whole range of features that you probably aren’t using in Photopshop.
The book is divided into 9 main sections:
- Ready To Cook
- Tonal And Color Effects
- Graphic Art Effects
- Lighting Effects
- Natural World Effects
- Traditional Photographic Effects
- Distortion Effects
- Texture Effects
- Presentation Effects
Each effect is given one page, which includes easy to follow instructions, example images, and high quality screenshots. I think its real strength is its simplicity – no way do you have to be an expert or advanced Photoshop user!
My favorite recipes include:
- Turning a figure to Stone
- Pencil sketch
- Creating Panoramas – which reminds me that I have promised to do one of the view from our balcony!!!
I started out thinking it would just be a ‘fun’ book, but picked up some really good ideas and tips along the way, and concluded that it was actually a bit of a dark horse. Simple, effective and educational with some inspiration thrown in along the way. Not bad for $29.99
With 53 easy-to-follow recipes, Photoshop CS3 Photo Effects Cookbook shows you how to use Photoshop CS3 to simulate classic camera and darkroom techniques and special effects-without making you first learn Photoshop inside and out. Packed with hundreds of full-color images, step-by-step instructions, and many practical tips, this book-and Adobe Photoshop CS3-are all you need to create professional graphic art effects from almost any image source.
Whether you’re just getting getting into Photoshop or have been using it for a while, you know that it’s a many-faceted application that can be somewhat overwhelming to master. With 53 easy-to-follow recipes, Photoshop CS3 Photo Effects Cookbook shows you how to use Photoshop CS3 to simulate classic camera and darkroom techniques and special effects–without making you first learn Photoshop inside and out.
- The book covers: Using the improved Vanishing Point, Lens Blur, and Black & White filters
- Creating graphic art effects: posterization, watercolor, pen and ink
- Working with lighting effects: neon glows, lens flares, fire and flame effects
- Simulating natural phenomena: rain, snow, and lightning
- Adapting traditional techniques: film grain, contrast masks, hand-tinting, cross-processing
- Adding motion blurs and other special effects
- Assembling multi-layered images and photomontages
Packed with hundreds of full-color images, step-by-step instructions, and many practical tips, this book-and Adobe Photoshop CS3- are all you need to create professional graphic art effects from almost any image source.