Now that I have gone all ‘Hollywood‘ I want to concentrate on deciding which camcorder to get next.
Truth be told I don’t really expect to be making that many blockbusters so at one level I probably don’t need the ‘current best thing’ but on the other hand I love my technology and as a rule in life always strive for the best I can achieve, without pushing things too far or being too unrealistic.
My current Sony Digital Handycam DCR-PC5E PAL has been great. I can’t remember how many years I have had it, but it could well be getting on for 10. It has never given me any trouble save for a duff battery when I didn’t use it for a couple of years, and it is a really good size both in the hand and to carry around. I am changing if for a three simple reasons:
- I want to move away from the tapes that it uses for quality reasons and import reasons
- It is really slow to start up
- At it’s best the recordings are adequate,with very few features to enhance the shots
You will tell from the above list that there are a few requirements that I have of the new camcorder:
- It must be small with a comfortable form factor
- It must start up and be ready to operate very quickly
- It must work equally well in bright sunlight and the dark as most of what I will be doing will be for Almerimar Life so very unplanned
- It must have a good battery life
- It must be easy to transfer the data to the Mac both in terms of compatibility with the Mac (as anyone who read my Sony DCR-SR70 review will appreciate), and storage medium
- It must be technologically advanced enough to last a long time.
I really like the idea of the Panasonic HDC-SD5 Camcorder as for me it ticks all of the above, but as ever I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions both in terms of criteria for purchase and specific camcorders.
In terms of time-scales, if things go to plan, I hope to be ordering it in a couple of weeks time, maybe even in time for the sponsored run!