As you will know from my Dual Screen attempts some time ago I am a BIG fan of LINDY, although I have never bought anything from them until now! This view was based solely on the excellent support and service I received when I was trying to sort out a dual screen option on the Mac mini, so when I decided that I needed a switch in order to hard wire my network I was really pleased that they had a product I could try – the 8 Port Gigabit Switch.£90
“The neat little LINDY 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch may be small in size but it’s packed full of outstanding features! Non-blocking architecture provides your network with full-wire speed connections, eliminating bottlenecks. Flow control technology ensures reliable packet transfer and prevents packet loss, whilst auto-negotiation and full/half duplex operation allows seamless integration of 10, 100 and 1000Mbit/sec networks. Perfect for small office, workgroup and home use.
* Gigabit over copper using RJ-45, CAT5e or higher cable
* Auto MDI/MDI-X function on each port – no need for crossover cables
* Auto Negotiation, for seamless network integration
* Full-Wire Speed eliminates bottlenecks
* Flow Control ensures reliable packet transfer
* Very compact size – smaller than a VHS cassette!
* 3 year warranty”
The first thing that I have to say is that this is small, very small. I wasn’t really prepared for how small and neat it is:
As you can see, it fits really well under the screen. It is really small – wait I have said that already right? Well the truth is that there really isn’t a whole lot more to say about it. Oh I guess I could say it is black, has lots of flashing green lights depending on what is connected at what speed at what time.
Anything else? Just that I love it! Plug ‘n’ Play at it’s very best! My set up is this:
– connect to the internet via modem router that was provided by the ISP.
– modem router connected to a (old) AirPort Extreme.
– AirPort Extreme connected to the switch.
I currently have the PowerBook, iMac, PC, 2 AirPort Expresses and the Mac mini connected to it with one spare port waiting for the Mac mini I want to buy for the lounge. Actually the current Mac mini is connecting to the internet wirelessly at the moment but that is an issue I need to resolve at ‘my end”, the 8 Port worked an absolute dream. Literally, plugged everything in and away it went – easier on the PC funnily enough as the AirPort Extreme seemed to want to be reset, but my connection speeds are so much better now. I really would recommend this to anybody that is looking to share their internet connection around their home or small office and can’t live with the slowness and unreliability of a wireless network.
But don’t just take my word for it. Here is someone else that is a BIG fan of LINDY:
* As is my ‘policy’ I need to let you know that LINDY very kindly provided me with a discount on this product once I had tested it and decided to buy it, in return for this review.